Stay in Korea
Stay of Foreigners
- Depending on the length of stay, the status will be categorized as short stay, long-term stay and permanent residency.
- Short-term stay: Limited, up to 90 days of stay
- Long-term stay: Limited, more than 91 days of stay
- Permanent Residency: Unlimited period of stay
- Those seeking Long-term stay and Permanent residency must register as a foreigner or file a Domestic Residency Report within 90 days of arrival.
Scope of activities and employment for foreigners staying in Korea
- Foreigners may stay as long as their status of sojourn and given period of stay are allowed. However, they are not allowed to participate in any political activities except when specifically allowed by law.
- Foreigners seeking employment during their stay in Korea must have a visa that allows it, and may only work in designated workplaces.
- If they wish to change their workplace, permission must be received from the local Immigration Office prior to the change.
- Visa statuses that allow for employment are as follows.
- - Short term employment (C-4), Professorship (E-1), Foreign Language Instructor (E-2), Research (E-3), Technology Transfer (E-4), Professional Employment (E-5), Arts & Performances (E-6), Special Occupations (E-7), Non-professional Employment (E-9), Vessel Crew (E-10), Residency (F-2), Overseas Koreans (F-4), Permanent Residency (F-5), Marriage to Korean Citizen (F-6), Working Holiday (H-1)
- It is strictly forbidden to hire, recommend, or arrange for hiring of foreigners who don't have appropriate visa status.
- The unlawful hiring, recommendation, or arrangement for hiring of foreigners who don't have appropriate visa status is a punishable offence under the Immigration Act
- Therefore, one must check for a valid foreigner registration card and appropriate visa status before hiring any foreigner.
- However, employment may be restricted even though one has a valid foreigner registration card, hence, consulting with the local Immigration Office for further details is required.
Permission for Extension of Stay
- Definition of Extension of Stay
- In case of expiration of permission of stay, the foreigner shall receive permission for extension of stay if they desire to stay continuously in Korea.
- Application Period for Extension
- The foreigner should apply before 2 months from the expiration date.
- In case of applying for the extension after the expiration date, the foreigner shall pay a penalty according to Article 25 of Immigration Act.
- How to apply for permission for extension of stay
- The person concerned or an agent (please check to confirm because there are agents who are not qualified, such as a spouse of a Korean national (F-6), etc.) may submit the application to the immigration office that has jurisdiction over one’s address, after having prepared all of the necessary documents for submission (please refer to the required documents by stay status).
- However, in cases where the person concerned is presently in Korea as of the date of application, the person concerned may file the application in person (civil application and application by agent made from overseas is not allowed)
Application method and contacts
- Contact Number : Immigration Office 1345 (Ministry of Justice)
- Please visit www.hikorea.go.kr for further details.